Rural Tax Credit
Help improve health care in our community through Georgia’s rural hospital expense tax credit opportunity!
Washington County Regional Medical Center is a 56-bed hospital that has been serving the community since 1961. Like many rural hospitals, we are facing similar challenges. To assist rural healthcare with the financial difficulties it faces, Governor Nathan Deal has passed SB 180 to assist qualified hospitals.
To qualify for this tax credit, the hospital must:
- Be an acute care hospital licensed by the Georgia Department of Community Health.
- Provide inpatient hospital services at a facility located in a rural county or be a critical access hospital.
- Participates in both Medicaid and Medicare and accepts both patients.
- Provides healthcare to indigent patients.
- Has at least 10% of annual net revenue categorized as indigent care, charity care, or bad debt.
- Annually files the IRS Form 990 (Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax)
- Is operated by a county or municipal authority or is a Section 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.
- Is current with all legally required audits and report
This new law gives taxpayers the option to reduce their state tax liability and control where their tax dollars go. Hospitals that utilize this program must use contributions for specific things. The hospital must report the contributions and the way they were used to the Department of Community Health.
The permitted uses of donations are:
- Administration costs
- Payments on short-term or long-term debt
- Renovations or improvements to healthcare facilities
- Construction of new healthcare treatment center
Your donation to Washington County Regional Medical Center is equal to a 100% tax credit up to the maximums outlined below. This opportunity is available on a first come, first served basis. Washington County Regional Medical Center is partnering with the Georgia HEART Hospital Program to help implement this exciting new rural hospital tax credit.
How much you can contribute:
If you pay Georgia income taxes, you are eligible to receive a tax credit for contributing to Washington County Regional Medical Center from January 1 through June 30 of each taxable year, as follows:
- Individual Filer – 100% of the amount contributed, up to a limit of $5,000
- Married Filing Jointly – 100% of the amount contributed, up to a limit of $10,000
- Pass-Through Entity – 100% of the amount contributed, up to a limit of $10,000, so long as they would have paid Georgia income tax in that amount on their share of taxable income from the pass-through entity
How you sign up:
- Complete and submit your HEART Tax Credit Form at http://georgiaheart.org
- Georgia HEART will submit your tax credit pre-approval form on your behalf to the GA DOR
- Within 60 days of receiving DOR tax credit pre-approval, send a check to Georgia HEART made payable to Washington County Regional Medical Center for deposit to the hospital’s account
- Georgia HEART will send you instructions on how to file your contribution confirmation with DOR
- You will claim the credit when you file your yearly tax return
If you have additional questions or would like to speak to someone about this opportunity, please contact Meghan Nugent at 478-240-2085 or email email@example.com.